Governor Seyi Makinde on Monday November 2, announced that the Oyo state government will be compensating families of Policemen who lost their lives during the peaceful #EndSARS protests which was hijacked by hoodlums, IgbereTV reports.
The Oyo state Governor said this while speaking at the Oyo State Headquarters of the Nigeria Police Force, Eleyele, Ibadan.
Makinde who disclosed that N500 million fund has already been set aside to compensate victims of police brutality and injustice, commiserated with officers and men of the Police Command over the loss of their officers as well as the destruction of a number of structures and equipment.
The Governor stated that government will continue to work together with the force to make Oyo State safe and secure for residents, and further urged the Police to put the experience of the last few weeks behind them and join hands with the government to rebuild the nation and create a better society.
He also disclosed that the state government would undertake the rebuilding of all burnt down and destroyed stations as well as take care of all logistics as contained in a document presented to him by the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Joe Enwowu.
Makinde wrote on his Twitter handle;
“This afternoon, we visited the Eleyele Police Command Headquarters, Ibadan, to meet with members of the Oyo State Command of the Nigeria Police Force.”
“I said we should all work together to build a better society. That I support the protests doesn’t mean I am against them. I am for the protection of everyone’s right, including theirs. And that we need their cooperation to ensure that arsonists and anarchists are brought to book.”
“I Finally, I told them that the families of policemen in Oyo State who were unlawfully killed will be part of those compensated from the initial N500M Fund which we set up last week. May their souls rest in peace.”